Thursday, May 17, 2012

Tool #2:Building Community in an Online Environment


Building and participating in PLN’s has proven invaluable.  I enjoy being able to read about the experiences and ideas of other educator’s at my leisure.  Personally, reading blogs and joining PLN’s is preferable to engaging in face-to-face conversations.  I think thought completion and clarity often fall victim to the nature of face-to-face conversations (time constraints, tangents, and digressions).  Although I am leery of sharing my thoughts publicly, my conscience drives me to do so occasionally.  I tend to feel guilty about being a consumer (following and using ideas) of blogs and PLN’s without contributing.  Experience has revealed that a blog or PLN is most useful when its creator(s) and its members contribute and collaborate.  So, I try to comment on at least one blog each time I go through my Google Reader.


A blog that always provides me with food for thought is My Island View: Educational, Disconnected Utterances by Tom Whitby.  Peruse, and let me know what you think about Mr. Whitby's utterances.

3 comments:

  1. I like what he had to say also. I am one of those Baby Boomers that struggle with technology, but I don't want to be "one of those educators trying to pull students into the cave they live in"

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sharing of ideas and comments online, etc. are new to me. However it is true we all benefit from sharing ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for not quelling your conscience and sharing your thoughts through this post. I think your comments on being both a consumer and producer of ideas were especially thought-proving.

    I think that PLN's and blogs are types of relationships. Even for the blogger that begins with the singular purpose of sharing his or her ideas, seeing those ideas put in motion and expanded upon (a form of production) provides great satisfaction. Like with most relationships, the association becomes strained when one member feels as though they are always giving and never receiving anything.

    Thanks for the reminder of the importance of being a giver.

    ReplyDelete